Two Months Before Moving
- Book your moving company. See 8 Steps to Choosing Your Mover
- Sort and de-clutter your; closets, garage, kitchen, bathroom cabinets, basement etc.
- Donate/sell items you no longer want or need
- Gather packing supplies, if not hiring professional packers. See our Packing Supply Survival Kit
- Gather important documents and records into one safe, accessible place
- Begin planning layout and placement of furniture in your new home
One Month Before Moving
- Begin packing less frequently used items; off season clothing, decorations, items in storage from garage, basement, attic, closets. Tip: Label boxes appropriately with contents
- Send items to cleaners: rugs, drapery, bedding, quilts etc.
- Back up important documents, desktops, hard drives, pictures to an external drive or cloud
Two Weeks Before Moving
- Contact utility companies to notify them of move and set a date to cut off service in old residence and set up activation in new residence. (gas, electric, water, water, cable, internet, phone service, subscriptions, lawn care services)
- Notify bank of new address – check to see if address changes can be done by phone or online with your bank.
- Continue packing items from around your home
- Arrange to be off work for moving day
- Schedule a pet spa for your pets for move day
One Week Before Moving
- Set up mail forwarding with Canada Post if desired (this is a service with a fee)
- Pack an essentials box (see How To Pack an Essentials Box)
- Finish packing all boxes, minus what you’ll need for the final week
- Change your address with;
The Day Before Moving
- Ensure all boxes are sealed and labeled correctly
- No loose items left in the home
- All cabinets, closets, dressers etc are empty
- Empty, defrost and clean refrigerator; clean the stove.
- Confirm movers
- Ensure there is clear access for the truck to park at the nearest entryway to your home before movers arrive
- In the winter: shovel and salt the driveways, walkways, stairways, entryways before movers arrive
- Before leaving your home do a final walk through, ensure the premises are empty and clean
- How movers where to place items In home (provide your layout)
- Before the truck leaves the premises at your new home, do a walk through to ensure placement of all furniture, and check the truck is empty.
- Make sure to have your method of payment on hand for movers
- Don’t forger to tip your movers
- Unpack valuable and most important items upon arrival